When Your Home Becomes Eligible
The following information is provided for homeowners whose single family home becomes eligible for residential noise mitigation under the MAC's Amended Program. The MAC will contact homeowners after their home becomes eligible. There is nothing for the homeowners to do to become eligible or to initiate the mitigation process.
The MAC will provide 2 different packages depending on noise exposure. The package that is applied to the home is determined by the noise exposure level as defined in the Amendment to the Consent Decree. Homes will become eligible if the home is located, for a period of three consecutive years, (i) in the actual 60-64 DNL noise contour and (ii) within a higher noise impact mitigation area when compared to the Single-Family home’s status under the noise mitigation programs for Single-Family homes provided in the Consent Decree.
The mitigation packages are described as follows:
Full Five-decibel Reduction Package
This package shall be designed to reduce interior noise levels by an average of five decibels and shall be achieved by application of a combination of some or all of the following, depending solely upon the characteristics of each single family home:
- Repair / replacement of exterior windows
- Addition, repair and/or replacement of exterior acoustic storm windows
- Repair / replacement of existing prime doors
- Addition, repair and/or replacement of exterior acoustic storm doors
- Addition of wall and attic insulation
- Baffling of roof vents and chimney treatment
- Addition of central air conditioning
No single family home shall be guaranteed to receive all or any particular combination of the above measures. MAC has the sole discretion to determine which of the above measures are necessary to achieve an average Noise Level Reduction goal of five decibels in a particular home, so long as the Five-Decibel Reduction Package for the particular home allows MAC to reduce interior noise levels for Single-Family Homes by an average of five decibels.
Partial Noise Reduction Package
For all Single-Family Homes eligible for this package, MAC shall provide one of the following options, to be selected by the owner of each eligible home:
- If no central air conditioning exists in the home, installation of central air conditioning and a total not to exceed $5,395* of noise mitigation products and services from items 1-6 listed above, including reasonable and customary installation costs; or
- If central air conditioning exists, or if central air conditioning does not exist in the home, and the homeowner chooses not to receive central air conditioning, a total not to exceed $18,884* of noise mitigation products and services from items 1-6 listed above, including reasonable and customary installation costs.
*Any reimbursement or mitigation improvements previously provided by the MAC under the Original Consent Decree or under any other noise mitigation program will be deducted from the above-listed options
For questions related to the Noise Mitigation Package, please contact the Assistant Manager of the Noise Program Office at 612-467-0741 or click here to Contact Us via email.
Please note, homeowners who do not wish to participate in this program may voluntarily opt out of the program. For more information about opting out, please contact the MAC Residential Noise Mitigation Program Manager at 612-726-8100 or click here to Contact Us via email.